However, if you aren’t fortunate enough to experience the sweet smell, you can still take advantage of the most fresh and flavorful garlic available – just make sure you’re selecting California-grown garlic at your local grocer.
Because people have become increasingly curious about their food’s origin, how it was produced and its safety, Christopher Ranch, the largest grower and shipper of California garlic, strives to be as transparent as possible in production processes.
Therefore, we wanted to share the sustainable and safe growing practices we follow to move our California heirloom variety from our fields in the Central California Valley to your fork.
* We practice a four-year crop rotation to reduce overfarming of the soil and ensure the soil’s natural minerals and nutrients are replenished. Because the garlic bulb grows underground, the more nutrients it absorbs from the soil, the more flavorful and healthy the garlic.
* We utilize drip irrigation when watering 1/3 of our garlic crop. Drip irrigation uses precise amounts of water, helping to eliminate excess water and cut annual use by 10%.
* We apply 50% less pesticides and fertilizers than the suggested levels to our crop. Our garlic also is pesticide residual free, according to NutriClean’s lab tested and certified standards.
* We test our water for E. Coli contamination.
* We operate according to strict food safety and quality control regulations. We follow Good Agricultural Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices (developed by the Food and Drug Administration); have received near-perfect scores from third-party food safety audits conducted by PrimusLabs, Silliker, Cook & Thurber; and have an extensive traceback system in place.