Before the month of Feb slips away, I have to mention (in case you haven’t heard) that it’s American Heart Month. Heart disease is the nation’s leading cause of death and these statistics from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the American Heart Association emphasize its severity:
• Every 25 seconds, an American will experience a coronary event;
• Every 60 seconds, an American will die from a coronary event;
• Every year almost 800,000 Americans have a first heart attack;
• Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese, and one-in-three adults lives with high blood pressure – the most critical risk factor for heart disease.
These stats are frightening and make me vow to eat better, sleep better and live better (hello, New Year’s resolutions…) but change is hard. I take baby steps most days, but I figure even subtle changes will give me some extra life points. Enter California garlic, an easy, bold and delicious way to eat healthier. Cal Garlic isn’t subtle by any stretch, but it fits the bill when it comes to nutrition and the American Heart Association’s recommendations for a healthy heart:
• Eat a variety of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables to help control weight and blood pressure:
California heirloom garlic, which is 100% natural, boasts high levels of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B and C, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc, allicin and more.
• Minimize foods high in dietary cholesterol:
Studies indicate fresh garlic helps reduce cholesterol, thin blood and burn fat.
• Select and prepare foods with little or no salt:
Fresh garlic is a healthy – and flavorful – alternative to salt. Substituting one teaspoon of fresh garlic for equal salt will eliminate 580 milligrams of sodium.
A healthy diet and lifestyle are our best weapons to fight heart disease so add more garlic, more often to your arsenal and eat to your heart’s delight.